In this post, we will learn how to Download and Install SQL Server 2012 Upgrade Advisor?
What’s SQL Server 2012 Upgrade Advisor?
Perhaps the most important tool of the tools typically used for upgrade planning is SQL Server 2012 Upgrade Advisor.
- Upgrade Advisor smooths the transition to SQL Server 2012 by predicting issues in your legacy instances of SQL Server.
- Upgrade Advisor analyzes objects and code within legacy instances and produces reports detailing upgrade issues if there are any, organized by the SQL Server component.
- The resulting reports show detected issues and provide guidance about how to fix the issues or work around them.
- The reports are stored on disk, and you can review them by using Upgrade Advisor or export them to Microsoft Excel for further analysis.
- In addition to analyzing data and database objects, Upgrade Advisor can analyze Transact-SQL (T-SQL) scripts and SQL Server Profiler/SQL Trace traces.
- Upgrade Advisor examines SQL code for syntax that is no longer valid in SQL Server 2012. It generates a report listing the code in question, together with links to where you can find more information to help resolve the questionable code.
Install SQL Server 2012 Upgrade Advisor Requirements
- Windows Vista SP1, Windows 7, or Window Server 2008 R2
- The Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (the same version of the .NET Framework included with SQL Server 2012 and Visual Studio 2010)
- Windows Installer 4.5
- Pentium III-compatible processor or a later version, with a processor speed of at least 500 MHz
- 15 MB of available hard disk space
Whether you choose an in-place upgrade or a side-by-side upgrade, run Upgrade Advisor on your legacy systems. You can run Upgrade Advisor from a local or remote SQL Server 2012 Upgrade.
Download SQL Server 2012 Upgrade Advisor
The Upgrade Advisor advisor is already bundled in the SQL Server 2018 Media at the redist\Upgrade Advisor folder. and you can also install it from Microsoft Download Center at Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Feature Pack
Install SQL Server 2012 Upgrade Advisor
- Mount the SQL installation media (ISO/CD).
- Search for SQLUA.msi that should be located on redist folder.
- Run the SQLUA.msi and follow the wizard.
Note: You can run the SQL Server 2012 Upgrade Advisor only against instances of SQL Server 2005 SP4, SQL Server 2008 SP 2, and SQL Server 2008 R2 SP 1. You cannot run it against instances of SQL Server 2000 or SQL Server 7.0.
In conclusion, we have learned how to install and download Upgrade Advisor for SQL Server 2012.